A bike rack is a required thing for every outdoor tripper who travels a lot with their truck. When you buy your bike, you look for how to keep bike standing on your truck bed. The bicycle rack is basically a bicycle carrier, which is attached to the wall or bus for transporting a bicycle. We can find a bike rack at public places. In this article, we are introducing the complete process about how to make a bike rack for your truck bed
One can make a bike rack in two ways.
Best of Making DIY Truck Bed Bike Rack
Before we actually jump into DIY truck bed bike rack, here are the some technical aspect about the material which I am sharing. Use a PVC pipe. These pipes are light in weight, which gives stability. In addition, this is inexpensive to install. Firstly, look for all items to be required.
STEPS TO BUILD A BIKE RACK –
1. MEASURE AND MARK
- When you bought a long piece of PVC, you will have to cut it into small segments for making the bike track. Cut the PVC as eight 24 in the (61cm) long piper, four 2 in (5cm) long pipes, four 3 in (7.6 cm) long pipes, two 12 in (30.5 cm) long pipes, two 36 in (91.4 cm) long pipes.
2. CUT YOUR RACK PVC SEGMENTS USING A SAW
- Keep an eye while you are cutting the PVC. Your motion in a smooth and steady.
3. SAND ROUGH EDGES TO CUT THE PVC
- Using a sandpaper that falls between grit rating of 60 -100. Rub the sandpaper over the cut edges of the PVC to remove the roughness. If you are using durable PVC, you can use a metal file. Pass the metal file until sharpness is removed.
4. CLEAN UP DIRT
- Clean the PVC after sanding to remove the sharpness. Dirt and dust can be dampened using free cloth and clean cloth.
5. ASSEMBLE THE FRAME
- Put together the inner and outer frame. You left and right side of your bike rack consists of two 36 in (91.4 cm) long PVC pipe and four 90-degree elbow joint pieces.
- Join a T-connector to the elbow points. Use the four 4 in (7.6 cm) lengths of PC will connect to each elbow connector to a T-connector. The T-connector attached in a way that the angle is 45 degree.
- Attach the first with the second. First 3 in (7.6 cm) segment of PVC, attach a T-connector. Insert a 2 in (5 cm) piece of PVC in the opposite side.
- Join the left-right side
- Both the sides of the PVC frame in a position of facing in opposite ways. Maintain a distance of 30-35 cm of space between each side.
6. MAKING OF RACK
- Putting together the mounts.
- Connecting the two pieces of 24 in (61 cm) long PVC with a 90-degree elbow joint form a V-point shape.
- Make four V shapes.
- This will form the rail bars on which the bikes will park.
- Insert the bike mounts.
- Install the T connector in slanting position.
- Glue the rack with PVC.
- Prepare the cement and glue it at the ends of the PVC segment and inside if each connector. Take precautions while you do it.
- Paint it as per your favourite colour.
- Use spray paint to paint your bike rack. It can improve the overall appearance.
- Always keep in mind that, if you mismark a guideline with marker, use a cloth to remove the mark.
- You can increase or decrease the length or dimension of your bike rack design.
- Always take precautions, while performing all this.
- Now, you have a bike rack made of PVC pipes, which will offer you durability.
USE A WOODEN FRAME | STEPS TO INSTALL :
- Take measurements from the centre of the handlebars to the end of the other side.
- Cut your wooden board : Get a wooden board of approximately 20 – 25 inches, which is a perfect size for the bike rack. To cut the board, use a saw to cut the wooden board.
- Drill in the wooden board : Use your drill press and make holes on which the bike will sit in.
- Cut the slot : Use a jigsaw to cut one inch. Slot adjacent to the hole and the bike can slide in from the front.
- Round The Sharp Edges : For avoiding accidents, round over the sharp edges using the sandpaper.
- Glue And Nail The Boards : Apply wood glue and lined the board up with corner clamps. You can also use the brads to nail the boards together while the glue dried.
- Measure and attach
- Make it smooth : Using sandpaper, you can give finishing to the sharp edges.
- Mounting it on wall : Drill a hole for mounting it on the wall. Use a stud finder to locate a stud.
Also, Check How to Build A PVC Truck Bed Bike Rack
Here Your Bike rack is Ready.
Thats the all about DIY truck bed bike rack in our guide.At public places, some of the bike racks provide chain lock, which is hidden inside the, please. When you are going out always carry your lock if bike with you. It is a V- lock and consists of a locking wire with a loop at both ends. This was the detailed instructions about how to make a bike rack at home. Following this will help you make a good bike rack ready for you.